Students can master key concepts and earn a better grade with the thought-provoking exercises found in this study guide. A wide range of questions and activities helps students test their understanding of biology.
This is a special edition of an established title widely used by colleges and
universities throughout the world. Pearson published this exclusive edition
for the benet of students outside the United States and Canada. If you
purchased this book within the United States or Canada, you should be aware
that it has been imported without the approval of the Publisher or Author.
With its outstanding text–art integration, ﬂexible organization, and comprehensive coverage of the ﬁve major
themes of biology—structure and function, information, energy and matter, interactions, and evolution
connection—Campbell Biology: Concepts & Connections is an indispensable introductory text for students.
To organize what is a vast expanse of information, these ﬁve core themes of biology are introduced
in Chapter 1 and revisited in every subsequent chapter, providing students with a structured framework.
Starting with the correlation of structure and function (exempliﬁed by how red pandas wrap their bushy
tails around themselves for warmth), proceeding through information, energy and matter, and interactions,
and ending with a discussion on evolution connection (depicted by how red pandas evolved coats to help
them stay camouﬂaged), this book covers concepts that extend across all areas of biology.
Structured to let instructors rearrange, skip, and assign chapters based on their requirements, this book
can be customized to a variety of courses.
• Setting the tone of each chapter, Chapter Openers and Big Ideas provide an overview of the content
to be discussed.
• Connection icons within each chapter connect theory to practice, helping students apply concepts to the
world outside the classroom.
• Each module starts with a carefully crafted statement that explains, in a nutshell, the central concept of the
• Visualizing the Concept modules strategically blend text and art, enabling students to absorb tough
concepts without feeling overwhelmed.
• Checkpoint questions at the end of each module help students assess their understanding, and Try This
activities encourage them to actively engage with ﬁgures.
• Data from all over the world has been added to make the text more globally relevant, including data on
obesity, sickle-cell disease, and diabetes.
Available separately for purchase is Mastering Biology for Campbell Biology: Concepts & Connections, the
teaching and learning platform that empowers instructors to personalize learning for every student. Figure
Walkthrough videos and Visualizing the Concept videos bring to life the features of the text, and the
assignable Visualizing the Concept videos also help instructors assess each student’s level of understanding.
When combined with Pearson’s trusted educational content, this optional suite helps deliver the desired